Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Network/Subnet simple configuration help required.

Hi, I need some help and it may seem a bit silly.

I have a simple network design with 1 router, swtich and two pcs. I want to be able to test out out subnetting to see how it works.

I am going to use a 10.0.0.0 network with 8 subnet bits.

Subnet 1 will use 10.1.0.0

Subnet 2 will use 10.2.0.0

I am going to use 10.1.0.1 and 10.2.0.1 as the GW addresses.

Do these subnets that I am going to use need to be connected by a router or can they be plugged into the same switch?

I know this might sound a bit confusing.

Thanks

3 REPLIES

They canbe plugged into the

They canbe plugged into the same switch as that 8 bit mask makesit one flat network. Adjust the subnet mask to create multiple networks from the 10.x.x.x subnet.  Remember teh subnet mask tells which part is network and which is host, 8 bits mean the last 3 octets are all host.

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

They can be plugged into the same switch, but hosts will not be able to (by default) communicate with hosts on the other subnet w/o a router.

Cisco Employee

With the topology you are

With the topology you are using, you will also need to configure VLAN's on the switch and subinterfaces on the router so the two subnets you have created can communicate. Assign the ports on the switch that are connected to the PC's to one of the VLAN's each. Then create subinterfaces on the router that correspond to the VLAN's you created.

If you need help with the commands for this, checking out Cisco documentation will help.

- Brian

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content