cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new Catalyst Express 500 problems

gene.rudy
Level 1
Level 1

We just purchased 4 CE switches and I'm trying to configure the 1st one. When I select Static and give it an IP address of 192.168.1.50, and select submit, it kicks back an error of "192.0.0.0 is (well, basically it doesn't like it.) but if I put in 10.146.1.50 which is not an IP address on the network, it will take it. According to the manual, the ip addresses in the 10.0.0.0 network cannot be configured on this switch. I'm confused. Did I completely miss something?

9 Replies 9

aborole
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Maybe the error messages and guide does not specify the exact addresses not allowed - its possible that some addresses like 10.0.0.x and 192.168.x.x are not allowed since they might be used internally - that is the best guess. I hope someone who has a better understanding of this, will give us more information!

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

Please post the error you are receiving.

aazim
Level 1
Level 1

If your switch is running 12.2(25)FY then I recommend that you upgrade to the latest IOS release which has resolved a number of issues including the issue that you are refering to.

Thanks.

Thanks for the head's up. I should have known better to ASSUME they were upgraded. New to this whole Cisco world. Thanks again.

Here's the error message:

ERROR: The IP Addresses in the 192.0.0.0 network cannot be configured on this switch.

I got it to work on 1 switch, but have 2 that won't work. All are running 12.2(25)SEG IOS and are on V01. Any ideas???

The problem is fixed in 12.2(25)SEG4 - which should be available sometime soon (date is not known yet)

alberto.m
Level 1
Level 1

I worked with Gene and we resolved this issue.

We reset the configuration using the link below.

Followed the section on "Reset the Switch When the Device Manager Is Not Available."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_tech_note09186a0080707fb0.shtml

Switch rebooted and we logged into http://169.254.0.1 , some IOS versions may default to 10.0.0.1

Ran the erase system configuration and the switch rebooted.

After the reboot we held the setup button down till port 1 led flashed green.

Connected to that port, logged into the GUI and we were able to assign the ip address ok.

Alberto

CDW Technical Support

Thanks. That is good information - are you saying that the switch no longer gives the message "The IP Addresses in the 192.0.0.0 network cannot be configured on this switch." if you try to use IP address from that range ?

That is correct. We were able to assign an ip address on the 192.168.1.0 network.

Alberto

CDW Technical Support

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card