cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New network setup

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, after having completed the CCNA course, I have been given a new project at work. We have a new business and I would like to know what are the steps to getting 2 office, one in location A and the second one in location B connected?I am not looking for router steps or configuration but rather WAN, IP from carriers, and such..Could someone tell me some directions?

Thanks in advance... ZK

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Sounds like first you need to get provision from the telco. That is obtaining data services between the two sites, this can be anywhere from frame-relay, to even DSL. After that you can think about having the tow sites talk IP and that will require routers and maybe even switches depending on the number of users for each site. Call your local telco and ask them for different services available depending on your needs.

Please rate all posts.

Thanks for the quick response. Now, would the telco involve the local phone and long distance companies? Also, which one of them be the ISP? Forgive me ignorance on this subject but I need to learn this stuff..

Thanks in advance.

There are many options and generally they all come down to a tradeoff between cost and bandwidth available.

You can go for a point to point circuit which in effect is a piece of wire between the 2 sites...of course it really isn't implemented that way.

The other common option is to run a VPN over the internet.

In the first case is simple to configure you have fixed delays and the bandwidth is 100% yours.

The second case is more complex to configure and you have no promise of any delay or bandwidth.

The first option is generally more expensive but not always if the distance is short.

With all the mergers of the phone companies in the US it hard to say who you should call first.

Start with you local telceo and a couple of major providers and ask them for quotes for point to point as well as internet on both ends. Unless money is a huge issue I would go for a point to point line since these seldom cause any issues once they are installed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card