Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Cisco

rcfosta26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to cisco products and was wondering if somebody could tell me or lead me in the right direction on what cisco products i would need for my project. Here is the situation:

Building A and building B are 20ft apart. There will be 10 offices in each building. I would like to use a cable connection for my internet. I would like each office to be on a seperate lan segment 20 total. What will i need to reach my desired results, Routers, Switches,extenders. Any help is greatly appreciated Robert

3 Replies 3

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

- What is the internet connection (Fiber, E1, LEased Line, or ADSL)?

- What applications will be in this network?

- Are you concerning with High Availability?

- Are you using IP telephony?

- how many servers in your network and these servers will be installed in the two building?

- No security devices are needed (PIX firewall)?

- Are you interesting with remote access like dialup or VPN?

Regards

Abd ALqader

The owners want to be able to sell internet access to the other business renting out space. Each business will have various needs some more technical and others will just need internet access. I just want to be able to seperate each business office so that no one wanders.

I would like to use a cable connection but if i must i will use a t1.

There will be various applications. There will be 20 different business of various nature ranging from construction to accounting.

There will be no ip telephony

Each office will be a different business so potentially 20.

A firewall is a must.

2 of the business will want to access a ftp server and have vpn access when away from the office.

Robert

We can list products as follows:

Access switches either 2960 or if you need layer 3 switches like 3560 with number of ports required. In your case, you can use

WS-C2960-24TT-L (Layer2 Switch)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6432/index.html

in each building for connecting end-users PC.

For servers you can use either Cisco 4948 (dedicated for servers) or you can use Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS.

You will also need an aggregation switch either modular or fixed configuration this depends about the expected growth at your network. If this is fixed config. go to Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS.

If you are interesting in High availability, you need to have two symmetrical switches for servers and at the aggregation.

Use copper to connect end-user switches (two links for each 2960) to the aggregation (Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS) switches. At this case you need to read about Spanning-Tree Protocol (STP).

For servers, connect each server (with two NICs) to the two Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS

switches for high availability either teaming or any other method.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6021/index.html

The connection between server farm switches and the aggregation need to be Fiber (You need to buy GLC-SX-MM GE SFP, LC connector SX transceiver).

According to the Internet access, i think Cisco 2800 or 3800 would be optimal. Go to 2821 or 2851

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_models_comparison.html

with network module for T1 connection.

If you need to have high availability just double the quantity by two (and also 2 network modules with 1 T1 links).

For the firewall, go to Cisco Adaptive Security Appliances like ASA 5520 with VPN or Anti-X bundles (and also double the quantity if you are interesting in High availability).

For the VPN access, yopu can enable it at the ASA or you need to have a spearate VPN box like Cisco VPN Concentrator 3015 or 3020.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/prod_models_comparison.html

You need to separate the two buildings, just give each access switches (end-users switch) separate VLAN with interfave VLAN at the aggregation switch (Intervlan SVI will be the gateway for the users).

I hope this is helpful.

Please rate if it does!

Thanks

Abd Alqader

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card