cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

newbie with one small question

cornercuttin
Level 1
Level 1

im brand new to cisco, and ive just purchased a catalyst 1900 to start learning on.

im trying to get some switching started, and i cant seem to get things working.

what i did was create an ip address for the switch, which is the same ip address for interface 0/1. interface 0/1 goes to the gateway router and then out to the internet(so that we are clear, switch ip = interface 1 ip). the gateway has a static ip, and i have 5 allocatable statics(sticky ip) after that. so the switch has its own static ip(i made sure to set the ip default-gateway on the cisco switch).

i then set interface 2 ip to a different ip address and then connected that to a linux system with that static ip.

from the linux box, i can successfully ping the switch, the gateway, and anything else with an ip address. but i cant seem to get internet access on this linux box. i can successfully ping, but when i fire up the browser, i get nothing.

any ideas. i really appreciate it. i know theres something that im missing. ive got my book in front of me and ive followed all of the steps, but this stuff is all written for simulations, so its a little different.

thanks a ton.

5 Replies 5

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

From that linux system are you able to ping sucessfully a valid ip address in the Internet? If so, and you can't open a website that uses Domain Name, then check the Linux's IP stack, maybe you forgot to configure the DNS Ip address, the server that will handle the domain names translation to IP address.

ok, turns out i cant ping out on the internet.

i can tell you what commands ive entered

ok, the gateway is xxx.xxx.xxx.238

i have 5 other ip's, 233 - 237

i have the cable going from the gateway switch into the first port on the switch. theres another ethernet cable going from port 2 to the linux box.

into the switch:

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.236 255.255.255.248

ip default-gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.238

interface ethernet 0/1

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.236

exit

interface ethernet 0/1

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.237

then into the linux box,

ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.237 netmask 255.255.255.248 broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.255

from the linux box, i can successfully ping the switch and another computer that has been assigned a static ip that is connected into the gateway switch, not the cisco switch. i can successfully ping the linux box from that computer, so i can successfully send a ping from a windows computer to the gateway switch, to the cisco switch, and then to the linux box.

i cannot ping anything beyond the gateway switch.

any help would be great. i know this has to be a simple problem, sorry.

i should also say that i can successfully ping everywhere from the cisco switch. it can ping out on the internet just fine.

the default gateways is some stupid dsl gateway that you get with your service. is there something i should change on it?

Why is the linux and another device have the same ip address?

interface ethernet 0/1 >> who is this?

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.237

then into the linux box,

ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.237 netmask 255.255.255.248 broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.255

Who is the default gateway for the linux?

Hello,

If you can ping everywhere.... and the only service impacted is browsing... Can you open a browser via an ip address:

http://198.133.219.25

Does the linux have a name lookup tool like nslookup?

Regards,

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card