cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Noob question about router IP on SDM Worksheet...

Chris Simon
Level 1
Level 1

The SDM Worksheet says,

L6A

Router IP Address

Copy the subnet in field L1A to field L6A.

If L1A has subnet field of 192.168.10.0, then these instructions make the router address 192.168.10.0.

I thought the first IP on the subnet was the default IP for the router, eg 192.168.0.1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris

I am as baffled as you are looking at the link you provided. If you used the example they give then all interface IPs would end up being the subnet address which is clearly wrong and more importantly would not work.

In terms of the addressing to use it is common to allocate static IPs from the start of the subnet as you say, athough this is just convention ie. any IP from the subnet could be used.

So unless we are both missing something obvious i would just ignore what the sheet is saying and do as you suggest in terms of allocation.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris

I am as baffled as you are looking at the link you provided. If you used the example they give then all interface IPs would end up being the subnet address which is clearly wrong and more importantly would not work.

In terms of the addressing to use it is common to allocate static IPs from the start of the subnet as you say, athough this is just convention ie. any IP from the subnet could be used.

So unless we are both missing something obvious i would just ignore what the sheet is saying and do as you suggest in terms of allocation.

Jon

Thank you for your reply. Its unfortunate because I think this worksheet is a really great idea and I wish other documents referred to its values. I've been bumbling around the site trying to set up a few home office routers. Various examples use different network addresses such as 192.168.x.x or 10.10.x.x which I recognize as internal, but moving from one url to another I'm never sure these addresses follow the same design. This worksheet is the most organized I've been during this whole process.

Chris

The worksheet is a good idea for your own reference and also if someone else needed to see how the network was setup. It's not that i wouldn't use one it's that you just need to modify it so it actually makes sense.

Jon

I guess what I'm trying to say is I wish Cisco used the worksheet more. thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco