Views
Helpful
Replies

Not geting IP address

sudeesh12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My have connected my PC by DHCP.After 20 minutes I lost the connection.The LAN connection icon shows it connected but my PC gets no ip address.When I restart the PC I again get connected and after 15-20 minutes the same problem happens.

Please help

Thanks

Sudeesh

6 Replies 6

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Sudeesh,

what does your physical setup look like, that is, how is your PC connected (through switch, or directly connected to a router), and where is the DHCP server located ?

Regards,

GNT

Hi

My PC is connected to the Switch and DHCP is in the same network

Thanks & Regards

Sudeesh

Do you see any updown logs for your port on the switch.

Narayan

No,I connected the PC on another ports and checked same thing happens .

Thanks

Sudeesh

Hi

do u have spanning-tree portfast configured on ur interfaces.

Thanks

Mahmood

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

1.) Are there other PCs on this network that are working properly?

1a.)If this is the only PC, it sounds more like a problem with your DHCP settings on the server / scope.

2.) Is you NIC set for auto speed and duplex? Try hard setting your speed / duplex, starting with 10/half and work your way up to 100/Full.

2a.) If you have access to the switch, look and see if you have a lot of "Duplex Mismatch" notifications.

3.) Did you make the jumpers yourself or are they "store bought?"

3a.) It's possible that your connection is bad enough that the switch is dropping into "errdisable" mode and shutting the port down.

You may have a bad NIC, what is the make & model of the NIC, and what level drivers are you using?

What is the switch, and what is providing the DHCP services?

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card