cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

parallel links

blue4cisco
Level 1
Level 1

my requirement is that I have two connectivity to access remote destination. Suggest me an device that can allow transmission of packet using both or one connectivity in case one goes down.

I do not want downtime of even 1 sec.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One or more routers might be the best type of device to support multiple paths to a remote destination. Depending on your needs, it's possible to design redundacy to avoid most single points of failure (although often not inexpensively).

However, meeting the requirement of no downtime, even a second's, might be practically impossible. With much redundancy, especially for (non LAN) remote destinations, usually failure recovery/bypass takes some amount of time (milliseconds to seconds) and some traffic already in transit might be lost.

blue,

You can do this a number of ways, but because you mention no downtime and wanting redundancy when one goes down it really means you need another connection out from the remote site. If you ran a parrallel line from the remote device to the existing local device you really don't solve anything with respect to "in case one goes down" because that will still take the new parrallel line down as well. You could drop a second router at the remote site, set up HSRP on the user side and set up a connection out from the new router to your local device (or different device). Care must be taken for routing to outside world, and depending on what protocol you are running it may be exploited to load balance.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card