cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Reset

chriszulli
Level 1
Level 1

I need to reset password on a 2900 switch. I tried the following 2x and no luck. Not sure why its not working.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

4 Replies 4

nethelper
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

how far did you get with the procedures you have mentioned ?

If you hold the Mode button for 10 seconds, the switch configuration is deleted and the switch reboots. This would get you back to the factory defaults of the switch (and hence also reset the password).

Regards,

Nethelper

I got to the end of the procedures and did follow them step by step. However when I try the new password it does not allow me access. I tried your suggestion as well but after holding down the mode button for 10 seconds or longer - nothing happens?

Hello Chris,

the mode button procedure might have been disabled, there is a command ´no setup express´ that actually disables the feature.

Anyway, from your post I take it that you went through the whole procedure successfully, but that the password configured by you doesn´t work. Can you try and get to the ´switch:´ prompt again, then type ´dir flash:´ in order to check which configuration files are actually stored in flash ? Delete everything except for the one you renamed in the procedure, then boot the switch manually using these commands in the order below:

flash_init

load_helper

boot

Let me know if this gets you any further...

Regards,

Nethelper

yes- everything seems to work until I try to login using the new password.

So I renamed the config.text to .old and started over from scratch since I didnt need the configuration anyway. I am new at configuring switches and I'm using it for practice/testing.

I want to learn setting port speeds and configuring VLANs.

Thanks for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card