Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Access mode allow tagged frames ?

1pipantom2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

From my understanding Cisco Catalyst switch port access mode only allow untagged frames to be received and proceeded. Tagged frames received on access mode port should be discarded.

But I have found in BCMSN course Student Guide following phrase

If a non-802.1Q-enabled device or an access port receives an 802.1Q frame, the tag data is

ignored, and the packet is switched at Layer 2 as a standard Ethernet frame.

Is in this case term access related to non Cisco equipment ? Or where are some Cisco Catalysts HW/SW combinations in which access mode port accept also tagged frames ?

With Best Regards

Tomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tomas,

802.1Q tagged frames with a vlan-id = access vlan of the port are accepted on Cisco Catalysts.

for Sure it was in 2004-2005 when I did L2 security tests and read about the following:

This is the basis for one of the L2 security attack that is called vlan hopping:

if you send a frame with two 802.1Q tags and:

a) the external tag vlan-id = port access vlan

b) the same vlan is used as native vlan in a inter-switch trunk

the attacker can send a frame from vlan X to vlan y bypassing L3 security and routing devices.

the recommendation is to use as native vlan a dedicated vlan for all trunks that is never used on access ports.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tomas,

802.1Q tagged frames with a vlan-id = access vlan of the port are accepted on Cisco Catalysts.

for Sure it was in 2004-2005 when I did L2 security tests and read about the following:

This is the basis for one of the L2 security attack that is called vlan hopping:

if you send a frame with two 802.1Q tags and:

a) the external tag vlan-id = port access vlan

b) the same vlan is used as native vlan in a inter-switch trunk

the attacker can send a frame from vlan X to vlan y bypassing L3 security and routing devices.

the recommendation is to use as native vlan a dedicated vlan for all trunks that is never used on access ports.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe ,

Thank You for clear explanation.

Tomas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card