Helpful
Replies

problem with accessing local webserver using Inside Global address

bangkybangky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am using a 2611 Router with IOS 12.2.

Currently, I have my router configured to portforward Inside_Local:80 to Inside_Global:8080.

The command I used is [ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.200 80 int e0/0 8080]

This works fine, and people can access my webserver from the outside.

However, I myself am unable to access my webserver from Inside_Global:8080, as my browser is unable to connect to it. It works fine with Inside_Local:80 though.

Can someone please enlighten me on how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

What you are describing is not quite possible because of the manner in which NAT operates. The only way to access your web-server from your inside network is by using it's inside local address.

If you wish to access your web-site using its public address, you can only do that from outside your network.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

What you are describing is not quite possible because of the manner in which NAT operates. The only way to access your web-server from your inside network is by using it's inside local address.

If you wish to access your web-site using its public address, you can only do that from outside your network.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Ah.. I was afraid that would be the case.

I suppose there isn't much I can do about it then.

But of course, thanks alot!..

Hi,

I am having the same problem with a 1841 cisco router. So far I was using a pretty cheap low end router provieded by my ISP and that problem never occured. I could access my inside hosts with their official address.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Oliver

You can get around this by using one of two methods, depending on thenumber of clients affected.

If you set your internal DNS to the *inside* address of the server, then you can reference the server by name internally as well as the outside (assuming the external DNS points to your NAT'd address).

Also make sure that the DHCP server is passing out the internal DNS server address as primary ... or that your static IP assignments are such that the internal DNS is primary).

For a few clients, you can edit the "hosts" file; put the internal name and address of the server in each client's "hosts" file (on XP it's in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc ).

If your system is a laptop, and it'll also be trying to access from the outside, then this methos will screw up access from outside you network.

The Internal DNS method will work internally and externally, since the name is the same (assuming that the DNS primary is now pointing to an external DNS, like from your ISP).

Good Luck

Scott

haa33110
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I will enter the URL http://127.0.0.1:80 into the web browser on your web server.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card