When type 'show ver'
flash file is shown like
Router uptime is 1 hour, 1 minute
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-7d.bin"

However, when type 'show flash'
Router#show flash
No files on device
6289408 bytes available (57560064 bytes used)

and 'dir flash:'
Router#dir flash:
Directory of flash:/
No files in directory
63849472 bytes total (6289408 bytes free)

I can't delete "flash:c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-7d.bin" ( Router seems not to recognise this IOS file)
and I can't upload another IOS.( off cource, the free space is not enough because I can't delete current IOS)

Are there any troubles on the CompactFlash ?
How can I solve it ?

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On Cisco1841,

When type 'show ver'
flash file is shown like
Router uptime is 1 hour, 1 minute
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-7d.bin"

However, when type 'show flash'
Router#show flash
No files on device
6289408 bytes available (57560064 bytes used)

and 'dir flash:'
Router#dir flash:
Directory of flash:/
No files in directory
63849472 bytes total (6289408 bytes free)

I can't delete "flash:c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-7d.bin" ( Router seems not to recognise this IOS file)
and I can't upload another IOS.( off cource, the free space is not enough because I can't delete current IOS)

Are there any troubles on the CompactFlash ?
How can I solve it ?

Hi,

Try the following command in router:-

delete /recur /force flash:c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-7d.bin

If prompted w/:

Delete filename [c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-7d.bin]?

Simply press

If prompted w/:

Delete flash:? [confirm]

Press Ctrl-C.

Then issue show flash to verify free space, then proceed to upgrade the flash with new ios.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The reason why you can't delete the file is because the file no longer exist in the CF.  Don't reload your router unless you have another CF with a valid IOS in it.

Neeraj Arora
Level 3
Level 3

I'll reiterate the above comments that Do not reload till you see a proper IOS file in flash.

Still you can try two steps to fix this:

1. Try "format flash:" and check if you see the proper available space. Well if it let you format the card, then I am sure the space will become available.

2. If the above option does not worl, then remove Compact Flash card and reinsert it back. Yes you can remove the CF card with router ON (although the card slot does say that we should not remove flash while router is on). It will not crash as IOS runs in DRAM, flash is only used to load the IOS when router boots (unless there are vlans being used which is saved in vlan.dat saved in flash)

Still its worth giving a shot, if this router is in production then to be on a safer side, schedule a downtime for ths

3. You can also try the "squeeze flash:" command but I doubt that it will work as this command was for old file systems.

If none of the above options work, most probably replacement of the CF would be the best & safest option

Hope it helps

Neeraj

Yup agreed as discussed above.

I have only 2 opinion. Either the flash is faulty or its not properly plugged in.

Try removing and re-inserting it again. If flash card is good, then you will probably see your IOS there then.

And if its faulty, then as mentioned above DON"T REBOOT YOUR ROUTER.

If its faulty, then sh flash won't show you anything, also if you try to format it, router will give you error. And if you try to format it and it doesn't gives you error, before you format the flash make sure you have got IOS backup.

Regards,
Smitesh

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

I suggest to reformat the flash card: format flash:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: