cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on tftp over VPN from home...

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

Interesting scenario developed today...should be simple enough, but.....

At home I connect to a Linksys router, that connects to my cox cable modem, to internet. 

I was going to try to upload a config remotely for an extreme switch, which its asking for a IP of my TFTP server (normaly my work notebook which at work is a 10.x.x.x address), well my tftp server (pc at home), has a 192 address (handed out via linksys router, static IP is assigned to cox cable modem).....how is this issue dealt with?  Obviously I do not put 192.x.x.x. in for the address.   I do connect at home via my VPN.  Just curious.....

Thank you

2 Replies 2

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

Your VPN should be assigning your home pc an address from the internal network. That is the address your Tftp server should respond to, and that is the address your Tftp client should try to contact.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

mikeburr1234
Level 1
Level 1

From your question, I'm unclear on where the VPN is being initiated from and where it is terminating... the corporate network or your home router?

If it is the corporate network, then you will have an IP address assigned that is internal to the corporate network that the switch can connect to. This is not your 192 address, this is a different one. When connected to the corporate VPN, look at all of the IP addresses on the system (possibly ipconfig /all if you are using Windows).

If the VPN is terminating at your home router, then you need to connect to the router's outside (public IP) address and then you should have the ability to access your LAN (or both the corporate net and your home net if you use split tunneling). I obtained my outside IP from whatismyip.com, but you can also look on the router's web interface in most cases.

In a pinch, you could port forward on your home router, but I wouldn't do it with TFTP. I would use a more secure protocol like SCP or SFTP.

Hope this helps.

--

Mike Burr

Mike's Technology and Finance Blog

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card