cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redesigning a small network

cpolvorosa
Level 1
Level 1

I've been tasked with redesigning a small network (15-20) including wireless.  Cisco recommends the RV220 as the entry point Firewall/Router/Wireless and researching there are apparently some good and bad sides of having everything all in one unit depending on who you ask.  The other option would be to get a dedicated Firewall/Router and then run the wireless on a seperate device(vlan). I'm fine with either solution but my main concern is performance on the physical connections as well as reliability with the wireless having good range and not dropping or having to reboot the router continuously.  Behind the router/firewall I will purchase one of the Cisco 24-port gig switches for physical connections through the office. Anyone have advice or suggestions on models to get for the router/firewall/wireless setup? Budget is not a problem although I don't want to pay for something that is overkill for 10-15 wired workstations and 5-10 wireless including a guest wireless. Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

zoltanszasz
Level 1
Level 1

I would go modular and not buy an one unit option. In time you extend better, or change just parts of the network. It's crucial to know how you have the building setup, you need just one AP or will be more. I would let RV220 out of question, go for 500 seires SMB series or 600 eries AP's. For many concurrent wireless connections you need something more serious. Router same, if you implement VPN and such an all in one router would be killed by all the processes that has to do. Will you use VPN, VOIP in the network now or in near future ?  if yes, then how many concurrent clients?

Go for something with IOS, not firmware ones.

thanks for the info that is exactly what I was worried about. So you suggest keeping all three seperate hardware devices, firewall/router/wireless? No VPN or VOIP required.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am going to sound like a broken record.  I am no big fan of getting a wireless router.  The reason is because of the location.  It would be ideal to place your wireless access point (WAP) in the middle of your wireless clients.  A router is normally installed in some far corner somewhere.  I mean this is OK if you are bio-medical lab and you are testing wifi with rats. 

Ok, next what model of the router.  To answer that question, one has to ask you this:  What is your WAN bandwidth now and are you expected to grow any larger (size of the office and WAN bandwidth)?

The argument as to get a dedicated firewall or get a router with firewall functionality all depends on the question.

The office should remain the same size going forward and the WAN bandwidth will be 12MB Comcast business.

A Cisco 880 or 890 would work for you.  As the bandwidth isn't really that large, I recommend you configure the router with Zone Based Firewall feauture. 

Im with leo. An 881 would be perfect for your situation as a reliable router/firewall. I would also base your wireless on how heavily it is used. If its a few devices a Cisco small business WAP will work. If it's medium I would get a aironet 1040. If it is extremely heavy I would go with a 1140 or 1260.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card