cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote desktop to 10 PCs

moamoamoamoa
Level 1
Level 1

Firstly hi everyone and I really hope someone out there can help.

Secondly, my dilemma. 

I have a SO (not quite SOHO) with at present 6 users.  I am considering purchasing a 871W as it supports 10 VPN connections. 

What is the best way to remotely connect to 10 PCs when my ISP only allows 1 RDP session through the router they supplied and wants an additional £14 per month, per connection?  (I refuse to pay this).  Would I be right in thinking that if I bought a router like the Cisco 871W I could connect using VPN or am I totally wrong with this?  Would it be a better/cheaper option to pay for something like goto my pc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Marc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

I can understand an ISP charging a one time fee to set this up but to charge you on a monthly basis is crazy.

The 871W / VPN is a good option if you are comfortable with configuring and managing the Router. Assuming that they don't charge you for every inbound/passthrough VPN connection! Other options...

Get a different ISP

Replace the ISP's Router with your own

Use a free service like the one provided by logmein.com

There are other more complex options but it depends on how they plan on restricting you. For example, If they are restricting you by configuring only one static NAT you could put a PAT capable device behind their router and use it to RDP to each workstation on a different port.

James

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

I can understand an ISP charging a one time fee to set this up but to charge you on a monthly basis is crazy.

The 871W / VPN is a good option if you are comfortable with configuring and managing the Router. Assuming that they don't charge you for every inbound/passthrough VPN connection! Other options...

Get a different ISP

Replace the ISP's Router with your own

Use a free service like the one provided by logmein.com

There are other more complex options but it depends on how they plan on restricting you. For example, If they are restricting you by configuring only one static NAT you could put a PAT capable device behind their router and use it to RDP to each workstation on a different port.

James

Thanks for your replies Guys.

James, as I am very new to all this I'm going to go for the option of a new ISP. 

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Firstly hi everyone and I really hope someone out there can help.

Secondly, my dilemma. 

I have a SO (not quite SOHO) with at present 6 users.  I am considering purchasing a 871W as it supports 10 VPN connections. 

What is the best way to remotely connect to 10 PCs when my ISP only allows 1 RDP session through the router they supplied and wants an additional £14 per month, per connection?  (I refuse to pay this).  Would I be right in thinking that if I bought a router like the Cisco 871W I could connect using VPN or am I totally wrong with this?  Would it be a better/cheaper option to pay for something like goto my pc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Marc

Marc,

The best way i would suggests if you dont want to pay for them connect one PC with RDP connection and then from that PC connect another RDP session to others PC.Hope that clear you query !!

and if you bought a cisco routers 871W it is cheaper and can connect a VPN and can support 10 VPN Tunnels and you can access the local LAN.

Check out the below link on cisco 871W routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6200/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

Ganesh.H

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card