cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

reset router password

mattsoftnet
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 1601 router. I'm trying to reset the password over the console port, but I'm having some trouble, I've never done this before. I'm trying to follow the directions in a pdf I found, but the router is saying the config-register command doesn't exist.

Easton>confreg 0x142

Translating "confreg"

% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Matt,

You need to issue the 'confreg 0x2142' command in the rommon mode. If you are in rommon mode the prompt would be something like rommon1> instead of Easton>. To get to rommon mode just reboot the router and press the key combination for Break Sequence on the terminal keyboard within 60 seconds of the power-up. Pay close attention to the steps and do not skip any steps to avoid problems.

I am sure you have the correct document to perform a password recovery. Just in case, here's the link for it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_password_recovery09186a0080093e11.shtml

Good Luck!

Regards,

Sundar

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Matt,

You need to issue the 'confreg 0x2142' command in the rommon mode. If you are in rommon mode the prompt would be something like rommon1> instead of Easton>. To get to rommon mode just reboot the router and press the key combination for Break Sequence on the terminal keyboard within 60 seconds of the power-up. Pay close attention to the steps and do not skip any steps to avoid problems.

I am sure you have the correct document to perform a password recovery. Just in case, here's the link for it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_password_recovery09186a0080093e11.shtml

Good Luck!

Regards,

Sundar

thanks for the help and that link. I started out with a pdf from cisco, but it wasn't a very good one. I didn't understand what they meant. I found a better document on google, something like the link you gave me. got it working now, thanks. I'll just learn on my own for the next few days then ask for help if I'm really stuck.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card