Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

RID and loopback?

Hello.

I am attaching my scenario in the ppt file and some commands in the word file.

I understand that to set the RIP of a router in OSPF you have three options in this order: 1) Set the RID with the "router-id (value)" command. 2) If you don't set the RID with the "router-id" commant then set a loopback and the highest loopback will be the RID. 3) If there is no RID configured with the "router-id" and there is no loopback then the RID will be the highest numeric IP address from all working interfaces.

In my case I didn't set a RID with the "router-id" command. I set a loopback (4.4.4.4) so that it will be my RID but the router still shows the highest numeric IP address of a working interface as the RID..... do you see anything wrong with my configuration? What is the reason it is not setting the RID to the value of the loopback?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: RID and loopback?

You have to reboot after setting the RID or clear the ospf process with "clear ip ospf process." Did you do this?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
3 REPLIES

You have to reboot after setting the RID or clear the ospf process with "clear ip ospf process." Did you do this?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Community Member

I did apply the "ip ospf clear process". But I just read sometimes that my not work so IOS has to reboot. I did it and it works now. As you also stated. Thanks.

Community Member

I cant remember for sure, but I almost think you have to use Loopback0 not 1. I could be wrong, but I've made this work before and I used Loopback0 without a problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content