cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router with two interfaces

attrib7575
Level 1
Level 1

We have a router with only two interfaces. Could you use it to make another subnet on our LAN when it will not be the gateway address on everyone's PC? The Gateway address is a modem to the internet. I can see setting the router as a gateway address if it had 3 interfaces, one for each subnet and one for the internet, but this one only has two. How would you do this? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

What exactly are you trying to do - the router is just that "a router" so if you run another IP subnet, on the other interface - you can still route to the modem via the default gateway static route?

You can tell all the PC's on the 2xIP (router ethernet interfaces) subnets that the default gateway is the router on the specific ethernet interfaces, and the default gateway for the router is the modem.

HTH.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

What exactly are you trying to do - the router is just that "a router" so if you run another IP subnet, on the other interface - you can still route to the modem via the default gateway static route?

You can tell all the PC's on the 2xIP (router ethernet interfaces) subnets that the default gateway is the router on the specific ethernet interfaces, and the default gateway for the router is the modem.

HTH.

Brilliant! I didnt think of it that way. If I understand it correctly, everyone's gateway address is their appropriate interface on the router. Packets destined for the internet are sent to the modem because of the routing table in the router. This would be the "gateway of last resort"?

ip route 0 0 "address of modem"

Yep - exactly right!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card