cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RPS 2300 and 3825 router.

Bernard Magny
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I have an RPS 2300 connected to the front of a 3825 router. When the main power (internal power supply) of the 3825, it stays on after switching to the RPS 2300 power, but if the internal power supply of the 3825 gets its power back, it does not switch back. How do I make it switch back to its internal power with out rebooting the router?

5 Replies 5

vpatrick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have the same problem with catalyst 3560G, and at this time I have no solution.

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

All the new features of the RPS 2300 (such as automatic back-off) really only work with 3750-E and 3560-E switches as they have new hardware to communicate with the RPS 2300.

Other devices don't have the necessary hardware to communicate the fact that internal power has been restored and need to be manually switched back using the buttons on the RPS.

HTH

Andrew.

I have an RPS 2300 hooked up to a 2960. Failover happens perfectly when I unplug it. When I plug it back in and then use the select button to manually set powering RPS port to standby mode (as suggested in the previous post), the switch itself loses power and then immediately reboots under AC power. Is there a way to restore power without having the switch recycle?

Seems like a switch getting accidentally unplugged would be a pretty common use case scenario for the 2300 so I would think it could handle this.

Thanks,

--nick

Hi,

I'll quote from the manual:

"The switch connected to the RPS 2300 might restart when it changes from RPS power to its internal power. We recommend that you first divert switch traffic to an alternate switch to avoid data loss. This does not occur on the Catalyst 3750-E or Catalyst 3560-E switches."

It's not very impressive when a vendor says something might restart, and this certainly isn't what you wanted to hear, but it looks like that's the way it works.

HTH

Andrew.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try STS, cheaper and can supply power to more devices (including servers, etc..) if connected to a rack power strip.

http://www.mgeops.com/index.php/products__1/230v_products/power_distribution/pulsar_sts_source_transfer_switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card