Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RPVST vs MSTP

Hello all,

I am planning on implementing rapid-PVST in a data center switch fabric, as recommended by Cisco. However, I am very curious about MSTP.

What exactly are the advantages/disadvantages of running MSTP over PVST?

Would MSTP be an acceptable solution in a high availability environment such as a data center?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: RPVST vs MSTP

I thought the link covered that, sorry.

Here's a link to some good references for data center design.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns431/ns432/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html

I run RPVST because it fis better. I only have a couple hundred vlans/networks so scalability isn't that big of a deal for me. I would *think* that VLANs in MST should be close in topology or troubleshooting could be a nightmare. I've never run MST, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

3 REPLIES

Thanks ceclark, but that link didnt really answer my questions.

I was wondering when it is applicable to use MST over rapid-PVST. What are the pros and cons of both features, and would anyone recommend running MST in a high availability data center environment?

Right now I am set to run RPVST in my data center, but I am considering the use of MST.

I thought the link covered that, sorry.

Here's a link to some good references for data center design.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns431/ns432/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html

I run RPVST because it fis better. I only have a couple hundred vlans/networks so scalability isn't that big of a deal for me. I would *think* that VLANs in MST should be close in topology or troubleshooting could be a nightmare. I've never run MST, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content