Views
Helpful
Replies

SDM Express Wizard does not finish

IM-Design
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On a new 1811 router, I am trying to use SDM to configure. Ive done the same on a remote router that worked OK, but this one is giving me a hard time.

When I try to complete the wizard (pressing the Finish button) Im expecting a dialog box which indicates that it is writing the settings to the router. This dialog never appears and the cursor goes into hourglass mode. Eventually I am forced to kill the process and restart. None of the settings appear to be saved since I am able to reconnect on the 10.10.10.1 address.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Is there a way to bypass SDM Express? When I try to cancel it, the SDM app closes?

I am able to use the same laptop to successfully run the SMD Express wized on a different 1811 router. Have I got a bum router?

Any ideas?

Charelie

13 Replies 13

Hello,

make sure the username you ahev configured to access the router has privilege level 15. Basically for SDM to work, your router has to look like this:

username privilege 15 password 0

!

ip http server

ip http secure-server

ip http authentication local

!

line vty 0 4

privilege level 15

login local

transport input telnet

transport input telnet ssh

Regards,

GP

Hi,

Yes I have the router configured as you reccommend.

The router came with a configuration file sdmconfig-1811-1812.cfg.

Ive copied this config to startup-config to see if that helps, but it puts me in the same state of not being able to complete the SDM Express wizard and therefore not being able to configure the router using SDM.

This is a problem for me since I would like to not have to learn all the IOS equivalent steps to configure the router.

Hi

Try the following config file

Regards

JD

Hello!

I've come accross the same issue and googled like a hell to find a solution) Tried different approaches, but the one that worked for me was to install WinXP with native IE + Java 6u11. Everything went smoothly. 

Know that this thread is dying, but just in case.

lldemeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Charelie,

I experience the very same problem with a brandnew 1811 router i.e. The SDM Express wizard is stuck after clicking on finish and nothing is configured .

Have you found a solution to this problem ? I would appreciate it if you would share it !

Thanks,

Luc.

Hello all,

Well, count me in the same boat, same indications as above with an 1811, have not seen a reply in this thread or others that specifies a fix. Google no help either. The only datapoint that I would add is that while monitoring CLI I see that the System Clock is updated with PC time, (feature was selected in the Wizard) when the "Finish" button is clicked.

If someone has the fix please post to this thread. Many Thanx for the help.

Steve

Hi

You get options of installing SDM on PC as well.....is it finishing?

Regards

JD

Hey JD,

Did not try from PC, stayed with on-router SDM. Had initially gotten around prob by doing enough CLI so that Express did not start up, then used "normal" SDM to continue config. So, I'll get there, but it will take longer / greater risk of mistakes on my part (yes, I assume a wise wizard ;^)

Last night tried SDM upgrade, failed to router but installed 2.2a to PC, and running from PC corrected another hassle with the security audit, so I have hopes. Will restore factory defaults and try Express again, this time from PC. Thanx for the idea.

Steve

Hi

My pleasure

Can u pls rate the post if that has helped u.

JD

Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem, I have called Cisco but their Service Engineer's solution was to remove the SMD express file from the Compact Flash memory !!!! have you guys found any solution ?

Thanks in advance

Farid

reswaran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Can you see if there is any message in java console. if you are using IE, you can open java console by going to Tools->Sun Java Console or View->Java Console.

Ravi

Hello,

I had the very same problem . The solution was to upgrade the Java plug in to V1.4.2-10 on the PC I was using for SDM .

Good Luck,

Luc.

avmega
Level 1
Level 1

Got the same problem with a cisco 876W but i noticed that if i don't configure the wan in the wizard i am able to sucessfully aplly the settings and afterwards manually complete the rest of the settings in sdm express.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card