cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Number Command

kcobra989
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. Is there a command for the CLI to pull up the Serial Number on a cisco router?

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The system serial number will be displayed in the output of the "sh version" command.

Regards,

Leo

I thought so too, I do that command at it does not show a S/N. I am working with 1711 router.

In addition to the show version which may or may not show serial number information there is the command show inventory. This command indicates in its output that it is showing the serial number. I have used it on some equipment and gotten the actual serial number in the output. But I have also used this command on equipment and the serial number that shows up in the output is quite different from the serial number on the chassis.

I do not believe that at this point there is a dependable way to find the serial number from a command line function.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Frined,

Some platforms have this ability, such as the 7500 with "sh rsp chassis-info" but others don't, such as the 7200.

Also I do not think it is there on lower versions like 1700 and 2600 series routers. Manual inspection is the only way left out.

Regards,

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card