Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set IP Address on 3550 and 2950

Hello all,

This is probably a simple question. I have 3 switches that are gigastacked on top of one another.

I would like to assign each switch an ip address in order to manage the switches.

Below is more informaiton on the switches.

SW1-3550

SW2-3550

SW3-2950

The configurations are the default configurations. I understand that I need to assign an ip address to VLAN1 but am not sure how this will work since all of the switches are on VLAN1 by default.

Also would I then need to provide a default gateway for each of the switches?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

5 Replies 5

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

use this link for info on setting an IP for a 3550.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801f0a4d.html

you will have to define a default gateway for the switch/stack if you intend to communicate to it from another subnet/LAN.

if all devices that need to communicate are on the same subnet/LAN as your PC, you will not need a default route.

regiscsoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Keith:

I'm not familiar with the 3500 series, but with the 2950 it's pretty straightforward - you can do it two ways, but if it is your first time you probably are best using the Express Setup which walks you through it. (Use this link:)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_example09186a00801cac4c.shtml

In any case, you will be assigning a unique IP address to each switch (don't worry about the VLAN1 being the same on each switch), and input the default gateway and a few other things it will ask for, some optional and others required.

Let me know if you have anything else . . .

kar.bibhu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi KEith,

Its very simple. You don't have to worry abt that all the switches are in VLAN 1. Its almost a standard that all the networks has a management VLAN-1 but its not mandatory. So You can take one subnet from ur IP range I mean Private LAN range and assign 3 IPs to 3 of ur switches. The command is as follows:

int vlan1

ip add x.x.x.x 255.x.x.x

no shut

Thants all but plz don't forget to rate this post

Thanks

Bibhu

harmanrms
Level 1
Level 1

Switches 3550 & 2950 are both Cisco IOS. The commands used for assigning an IP address to a switch is :

switch(config)#ip address subnet mask <>

switch(config)#ip default-gateway

switch(config)#no shut

when this IP is assigned it automatically is assigned in Vlan1. So no need of creating interface Vlan1 which is a SVI ie Switched virtual interface.

And yes you would have to assign a default gateway to each of the switch for communication betwn the hosts to take place.ie host on SW1 to communicate with host on SW3.

pls rate this if its useful.

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi keith,

you can configure the ip address to the interface vlan1 of all the three switch which can be usefull to assign for the management purpos as well as the remote configuration purpose...

int vlan1

ip address a.b.c.d submask

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card