cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set up of Switch and router

JSolutionsllc
Level 1
Level 1

I just got a router and switch. I am studying for the ccna. How do I initially connect to them with a pc? I have the Console cable.

4 Replies 4

naveen_b81
Level 1
Level 1

You can connect the DB9 pin of the console cable to your PC and the RJ45 (ethernet linke interface) to the console port of the router or switch.

Then open, Hyperterminal (Start->Programs->Accessories->Communication->Hyperterminal)

Reset to default settings and you should see the configuration window

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

there is a program in windows called hyperterminal

start/programs/accessories/communications/hyperterminal

give a name, choose a com port, restore default the settings.

normally you should get connected

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As the other posters have noted, if using a Windows PC, Hyperterminal can be used to access the network device's "console".

You will need to insure Hyperterminal is using the correct comm port (the one you've connected the cable to), and insure the comm parameters match your Cisco network device's settings. Parmeters 9600/8/none/1/none will likely work (NB: these might be set if you "press" the Restore Defaults button [as also noted by Ohassairi].)

If you are using windows vista you might not find hyperterminal. Download Putty and it works perfect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card