Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting passwords

I have set a vty password and enable password for Cisco 2811 but after that when I take a tellnet connection the router asks Ciscon default username and password. ???

How can I disable these? I mean, when I connect with telnet, I don't want to log in with username and password.

I want that the router straight asks telnet password. So how to remove username and password?

Thanks for help. Sorry, this out of topic subject and bad English.

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post the configuration of your VTYs?

show run | section vty

if that does not work, try-

show run | begin vty

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have set a vty password and enable password for Cisco 2811 but after that when I take a tellnet connection the router asks Ciscon default username and password. ???

How can I disable these? I mean, when I connect with telnet, I don't want to log in with username and password.

I want that the router straight asks telnet password. So how to remove username and password?

Thanks for help. Sorry, this out of topic subject and bad English.

Hi,

If router is asking for Username and password at the time of login then some local user database configuration would have been done or aaa authentication would have been configured.If you want to disable the usernam prompt just remove the local username and password database which is configured in the switch and in line vty 0 15 just configure password "password name" .

Hope that help

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

2 ways to do this.  if you have not done a lot of configurations, you can erase the startup config and reload or you can do a -->no username from the CLI.

stevec90
Level 1
Level 1

You need to have a VTY password in order to enable a telnet connection. You do not need a username. What I do is set a very long timeout on the VTY lines, so I only log in once at the beginning of the day.

Matthew Warrick
Level 1
Level 1

no aaa new-model

line vty 0 15

login

password XXXXXX

no exec-timeout

transport input telnet

This is not secure at all though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card