cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting static leases through DHCP (1841)

cdavies74
Level 1
Level 1

Interested in how to set up static leases through my DHCP pool on a Cisco 1841.

The DHCP pool is currently set as 14.18.16.0, sharing 14.18.16.20-120 with the submask of 255.255.255.0.

I'd like to have x clients with specific IPs (based on their MAC?), the leases should never expire.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to capture user MAC address to configure STATIC DHCP Mapping. IMO this is provided for users who want to get the same IP Address but too lazy to hardcode (manually configure in their PC interface) it in their PC :)

Here is the link how to do it http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t11/feature/guide/gtdhcpsm.html

Watch out when user change PC, some users (though with NO disability) expect the IP Address to follow them when they change PC :)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Davies ,

Better way u can excluded this ip addresses from DHCP pool ,

ip dhcp excluded-address 14.18.16.20 14.18.16.120 and assign statically towards client .

Thanks for the reply sanvaishu.

Out of curiousity, why would this be a better choice over letting the router set the leases? I'm thinking purely of clients automatically getting the info from the DHCP.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to capture user MAC address to configure STATIC DHCP Mapping. IMO this is provided for users who want to get the same IP Address but too lazy to hardcode (manually configure in their PC interface) it in their PC :)

Here is the link how to do it http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t11/feature/guide/gtdhcpsm.html

Watch out when user change PC, some users (though with NO disability) expect the IP Address to follow them when they change PC :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card