cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a home lab

Steelejaxon
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to set up a lab in my home with 3-4 PCs, a router and a couple catalyst switches. I would put Linux on one PC and Windows Server 2000 on another. I would like to set up some virtual servers and use the last as a mock workstation. I could use this as a basis to build my knowledge from it's current state (infancy). What I was hoping to get was a recommendation for makes and model of routers / switches that would not break my bank but still provide me with a good test bed. I would like to keep the whole thing (incl. any software liscenses) to under $3000. I figure I can buy used since this will more realistically simulate a work environment (how many places have the absolute most recent equipment?). Any help you can provide would be awesome.

4 Replies 4

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Why dont you try Router Simulator such as available on www.boson.com which will cost u less then $300....they offer almost.....(almost) real time training.

Regards

JD

I will look into it however I will say I am partial to working with hardware. It seems like the ones I have seen have a hard time simulating the kind of obscure yet true to life problems that I want to play around with.

kar.bibhu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you are set ur mind to setup a lab physically in ur home then i would recomend u to go for 2600 series routers and 1950 or 2950 switches. You sud know that all the CCIE lab has been done using 5 2600 routers. And in my opinion 3000 bucks is quite enough to get some second hand equipements for ur home lab.

Hope this helps u...

tary1
Level 1
Level 1

You will be able to build a really nice lab with $3k. Do you already have the PC's? Check out ebay for Cisco routers and switches. There are plenty of good deals out there. I would stay away from Router simulators as they do not truly simulate a network. Part of learning is physically connecting the routers and switches. How can you do that on a simulator. 2500 series routers will do just fine you may also want to consider 2600 series as well. I just recently bought two 2507 routers for a total of $75 including shipping. Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card