cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a home lab

Steelejaxon
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to set up a lab in my home with 3-4 PCs, a router and a couple catalyst switches. I would put Linux on one PC and Windows Server 2000 on another. I would like to set up some virtual servers and use the last as a mock workstation. I could use this as a basis to build my knowledge from it's current state (infancy). What I was hoping to get was a recommendation for makes and model of routers / switches that would not break my bank but still provide me with a good test bed. I would like to keep the whole thing (incl. any software liscenses) to under $3000. I figure I can buy used since this will more realistically simulate a work environment (how many places have the absolute most recent equipment?). Any help you can provide would be awesome.

4 Replies 4

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Why dont you try Router Simulator such as available on www.boson.com which will cost u less then $300....they offer almost.....(almost) real time training.

Regards

JD

I will look into it however I will say I am partial to working with hardware. It seems like the ones I have seen have a hard time simulating the kind of obscure yet true to life problems that I want to play around with.

kar.bibhu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you are set ur mind to setup a lab physically in ur home then i would recomend u to go for 2600 series routers and 1950 or 2950 switches. You sud know that all the CCIE lab has been done using 5 2600 routers. And in my opinion 3000 bucks is quite enough to get some second hand equipements for ur home lab.

Hope this helps u...

tary1
Level 1
Level 1

You will be able to build a really nice lab with $3k. Do you already have the PC's? Check out ebay for Cisco routers and switches. There are plenty of good deals out there. I would stay away from Router simulators as they do not truly simulate a network. Part of learning is physically connecting the routers and switches. How can you do that on a simulator. 2500 series routers will do just fine you may also want to consider 2600 series as well. I just recently bought two 2507 routers for a total of $75 including shipping. Good luck.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card