cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Single user over fiber

coyle.lindsay
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any manageable products like a media converter or similar device for connecting a single user's PC to a fiber cable? I have many buildings interconnected by MMF, and a number of these locations have just one user. Right now they're using media converters, but I'd like something manageable, but an 8-port switch with a fiber transceiver is overkill.

2 Replies 2

peterledwidge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

check the link below you might find something suitable and within the right price range.

http://www.lanshack.com/UTP-to-Multimode-Fiber-Media-Converters-C87.aspx

HTH

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

I would suggest to terminate all the media converters to a cisco manageble switch through copper.This will be an addition to your existing network. In this scenerio, though you need a pair of media converters, which u must be using right now, but at least you can do some broadcast control using VLANs.

If u can go for a L3 switch, then you can even create different subnets for even the nodes which are having more then one PCs.This will enhance your network performance considerably.

The other option, though not recommended, is to test ur media converter's compatability with a cisco GBIC/SFP module. I dont gaurentee that will work, but its worth giving a try.

But the best option is still, go for cisco switch at both the ends. :-)

Regards

JD

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card