Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Span Sessions

Hi,

I have an issue with spanning a port on the switch. Please assist.

I have a switch of 4510R-E series with port 8/47 providing MAN lin kconnectivity to another office. I see the tx or rx load on the interface to be hitting 250 every 1 min or so. I would want to trace the traffic on this link. So, I thoght of spanning the traffic onto a system & analyze. th eport 8/47 is on VLAN 250. I configured the below:

monitor session 2 source vlan 250

monitor session 2 destination interface fa 8/11

I have my local system connected to fa 8/11 on the same switch. When I configure the span this way, I lose connectivity to the system on 8/11. The moment I remove the configurtaion, I am able to ping to the system & access the system. Why is this so?

How do I proceed with this ?

3 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Span Sessions

This is because the SPAN sets the port to only forward SPAN traffic. (the traffic to your sniffer/analyzer)

The SPAN port disables the forwarding of non SPAN traffic; any traffic from your PC, so the PC connectivity is in essence lost while the SPAN is in effect.

Utilize your sniffer/analyzer while the SPAN is in effect and it will capture all the traffic the SPAN sends to port 8/11.

Please see the following link for more SPAN info:

Characteristics of a SPAN Destination port:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml#charac_dest

Hi,

The best way to do this is that there should be two ethernet cards on the system -

- one card will be in promiscous mode , collecting all traffic from the SPAN port on the switch for analysing/sniffing traffic.

- the other card will be operating normally for network access.

Hi,

Suppose you have eth0 and eth1 on your system,

then

eth0 - (promiscous mode) - configure tools like Wireshark/Ethrreal to sniff traffic on this port. Connect this to the 8/47 port as in your case.

Eth1 - (access mode) - for your system to acces s network, connect this to the normal user VLAN port on the switch.

Rate if helpful.

dhananjoy

Views
Helpful
Replies