Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning-tree issue

Jacob Samuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

i have a network with 1 Distribution switch where all the buidling Edge switches are connected. All L2 and SVI's are created on the Distribution swith, at the edge L2 Vlans are there and there is one vlan (Vlan1) for management with IP address. there is only 1 link from each switch and no spanning-tree vlan 1-100 is confgiured on the Disti switch.

The customer connected some new 2 storied buildings to the network, in that they have 2 cabnets (1 Grnd Flr and 1 First Flr) with 1 switch each. A fiber link connects GF switch G1/0/2 to the disti switch, and the First Floor swithc is connected to Ground Floor swithc on UTP F1/0/24. both (GF-Fa1/0/24 and FF-F1/0/24) and GF G1/0/2 are manually configured as dot1q Trunk at the edge and at the Disti switch with switchport mode dynamic dessirable.

The issue now is, the new buildings they are facing intermittent issues in getting access to the network including receiving IP from the DHCP Server in the Server Farm. when i checked i found the ground floor swith is showing spanning tree root port as G1/0/2 for Vlan 1 but for vlan 21 it is showing the int fa 1/0/24 (UTP Trunk link to FF Switch) as the root port. And the FF swithc is saying that it is the root for vlan 21.

What i did, in the disti switch i add spanning tree vlan 21, with spanning tree vlan 21 root primary which reduced the priority from 32769 to 24578, and the Ground Floor swithc in the bldg 4 and 05 now showing G1/0/2 as the root port. and first floor switch is also saying the int fa 1/0/23 as the root port for bith vlan 1 and 21. as of now thinks there is no issue in bldg 4 and everythign working fine. but in bldg 5 they are saying still they have some issues. i need to check what is the issue.

is thetre any issues still whcih i ma missing? or is there any chances for any issues?

I would like to know whether they things what i did to resolve the spanning tree issue is enough or do we need to configure anything else also in the switches, edge as well disti switch.

thanks and regards

Sunny

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Sunny,

What you should do id verify that the distribution switch is the root for all vlans.

Simply enter sh spanning-tree and verify the results.

regards,

Leo

Hi Leo,

i have verified this, and the vlans created for this new buildings are the root. do we need to configure other than this to tackle this issue? which is my concern.

regards

Sunny

Correct root placement is the main issue. If this is ok, you are unlikely to have other problems relating to STP.

When extending a network like you have done, there are several other matters to address.

The most important one of those is the need to avoid speed/duplex mismatches. (on all ports)

A duplex mismatch can introduce severe performance problems.

regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card