Views
Helpful
Replies

SRR or WRR

dumble4me
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I want to do the following QoS configuration. I am having a total bandwidth of 30 Mbps.

I want to have strict priority for voice traffic with guaranteed bandwidth of 5 mb.

15 mb for SMTP traffic.

8 mb traffic need to policed so that excess traffic need to be dropped.

All other traffic should be having default priority.

What policy should I configure SRR or WRR ?

Can anyone give the configuration , also mentioning what and how the values are derived?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

1 Reply 1

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

In order to deploy QoS appropriately there is a fundamental apsect which determines the type QoS model you deploy.

Essentially different platfroms support different methods for congestion avoidance, prioritising and schuleding, and therefore governs your approach.

SRR is different from WRR in that the SRR algorithm provides a way to shape outbound traffic to a stated rate. In some respects, it is similar to a policer except that traffic in excess of the rate will be buffered rather than dropped as with a policer.

The shaper is implemented on a per-queue basis and has the effect of smoothing transient bursts of data that pass through that port.

SRR also modifies the way in which it schedules data when compared to the WRR algorithm.

WRR will service each queue by the weight, therefore the queue with the higher weight will be serviced before others. Whereas SRR will service each queue starting with the highest to the lowest weight.

The purpose of a strict priority queue is to ensure that latency sensitive traffic serviced before others queues.

When a packet is placed into a strict priority queue, scheduling of packets from WRR queues will cease, and the packet(s) in the strict priority queue will be transmitted. Only when the strict priority queue is empty will the scheduling process recommence sending packets from WRR queues.

If you find this information helpful, please kindly rate this post.

Regards

Allan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: