Views
Helpful
Replies

Subinterface

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

Can someone tell me  what documentation could i go to that will tell me how to create a subinterface

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Can someone tell me  what documentation could i go to that will tell me how to create a subinterface

Hi,

From interface configuration mode, you can enter subinterface configuration mode. Subinterface configuration mode is a submode of interface configuration mode. In subinterface configuration mode you can configure multiple virtual interfaces (called subinterfaces) on a single physical interface.

In the following example, a subinterface is configured for serial line 2, which is configured for Frame Relay encapsulation. The subinterface is identified as "2.1" to indicate that it is subinterface 1 of serial interface 2. The new prompt hostname(config-subif)# indicates subinterface configuration mode. The subinterface can be configured to support one or more Frame Relay PVCs.

Router(config)# interface serial 2
Router(config-if)# encapsulation frame-relay
Router(config-if)# interface serial 2.1
Router(config-subif)#

To exit subinterface configuration mode and return to interface configuration mode, use the exit command. To end your configuration session and return to privileged EXEC mode, press Ctrl-Z or enter the end command.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

There are various documents explaining the sub-interfaces configuration depending upon the network scenario. Here are few links:

Using subinterfaces on an Ethernet port for intervlan routing:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa81/config/guide/intrface.pdf

Frame-relay subinterfaces:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/16.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Hi,

From interface configuration mode, you can enter subinterface configuration mode. Subinterface configuration mode is a submode of interface configuration mode. In subinterface configuration mode you can configure multiple virtual interfaces (called subinterfaces) on a single physical interface.

In the following example, a subinterface is configured for serial line 2, which is configured for Frame Relay encapsulation. The subinterface is identified as "2.1" to indicate that it is subinterface 1 of serial interface 2. The new prompt hostname(config-subif)# indicates subinterface configuration mode. The subinterface can be configured to support one or more Frame Relay PVCs.

Router(config)# interface serial 2
Router(config-if)# encapsulation frame-relay
Router(config-if)# interface serial 2.1
Router(config-subif)#

To exit subinterface configuration mode and return to interface configuration mode, use the exit command. To end your configuration session and return to privileged EXEC mode, press Ctrl-Z or enter the end command.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Please read Router on Stick concept from the Cisco documentation.

It will provide you the effective idea to create subinterface of any interface.

Regards

Vinod Agrahari

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco