Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Switch Recommendation

Can anybody help me purchasing a Switch for the below network?

Total Branches: 10 + 1 Head office

Will be connected through 1 Leased Line in Head Office and 8 ADSLs and 2 Dial-ups in branches.

Application:

1. MS-Great Plains (30 Concurrent Users Distributed in 1 Head office and 10 Remote Branches)

2. 12 Concurrent MS-GP Users in Head Office + 30 exchange e-mail users with little browsing requirement.

3. Some traveling users will connect to the Application Server from outside the country using web interface.

Servers:

HP DL380G5 4G Performance EU Svr (Qty 3)

dc7600 convMT P4-660 (3.6 GHz)

Thankx!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Switch Recommendation

Designing networks is to some extent a rather personal matter. Based on your requirements, I would consider the 2960 series adequate but if you want to use a more powerful switch, the 3560 comes in the picture as well. So, if you want to spend the money, who am I to stop you?

Both switches allow you to regulate user bandwidth to a certain extent but id you don't absolutely need it, don't use it. Your network will perform better without!

Regards,

Leo

4 REPLIES

Finding a suitable LAN switch for this setting is probably the easy part. In the main office you will need over 24 ports so a 48-port switch is advisable. Your best choice is probably the 2960-48TT-L. Please check the URL below for the 2960 series:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/index.html

You may also need advice on the choice of your router(s)? Please post in the reply if this is indeed the case.

Regards,

Leo

thanks for your reply. somebody recommended catalyst 3560 48 10/100/1000T + 4 SFP Std Image. Is it a good one and can i distribute bandwidth on per user basis if i use this switch?

Thankx!

Designing networks is to some extent a rather personal matter. Based on your requirements, I would consider the 2960 series adequate but if you want to use a more powerful switch, the 3560 comes in the picture as well. So, if you want to spend the money, who am I to stop you?

Both switches allow you to regulate user bandwidth to a certain extent but id you don't absolutely need it, don't use it. Your network will perform better without!

Regards,

Leo

Everybody needs to save money. I will go for 2960.

Thanks a lot.

Views
Helpful
Replies