cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tcp/ip

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, I was reading up on tcp/ip, it says tcp is connection orientated and ip is connectionless, I thought that all packets that go over routers etc will always use tcp ? does this just mean that the initial connection over layer 3 (ip) is connectionless, then the packets are transferred by tcp which needs to set up the connection ?

3 Replies 3

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

IP Is L3 and connectionless, TCP Is L4 and connection oriented. Other L4 protocols are availabble (eg UDP) that are not connection oriented.

A router forwards packets at L3, and in its simplest form couldn't care less about connections, all it has is a packet to forward.

so do all packets have a tcp port value in them ? I thought that with tcp the connection has to be set up, I gather this happens after ip has got the packet to the destination, am i right ?

cheers

If using TCP, there will be a TCP Port, If using UDP there will be a UDP port. ICMP does not use ports.

To set up a conenction using TCP, three steps are involved.

I will assume a PC doing telnet.

First the PC sends a TCP sends a syn with a destination port of 23, and a source port of its choosing - typicallyy above 2048. I'll use 2069. I will also use "host" and "PC" instead of addresses.

So we get:

TCP-Syn DA - host, SA - PC , DP - 23, SP - 2069

(da - dest address, SA Source address, DP dest port, SP Source port)

Assuming the host is happy to accept the connection, it will respond:

TCP-SynAck DA - PC, SA - Host , DP - 2069, SP - 23

When the PC gets that, it acknowledges the SynAck to complete the three way handshake:

TCP-Ack DA - host, SA - PC , DP - 23, SP - 2069

At that point we have a connection. The router probably couldnt care less, normally all it is bothered about (assuming no access lists or QoS etc is:

IP DA - host, SA - PC

IP DA - PC, SA - Host

IP DA - host, SA - PC

so it will just forward them.

If the PC pings the host, all the router will care about is:

IP DA - host, SA - PC

IP DA - PC, SA - Host

Look familiar?

Where what is carried is:

ICMP DA - host, SA - PC - ECHO REQUEST

ICMP DA - PC, SA - Host - ECHO RESPONSE

Paul.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card