cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Term question : carrier-class packet transport

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

What does "carrier-class packet transport" mean?  I am thinking maybe its how the heavy hitters (XO, SBC, Level 3) move packets on the internet, but I am guessing.

Thanks

Jimmy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What does "carrier-class packet transport" mean?  I am thinking maybe its how the heavy hitters (XO, SBC, Level 3) move packets on the internet, but I am guessing.

Thanks

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

From transformation to IP-based packet transport network (PTN) has garnered industry-wide attention as the most expedient remedy. PTN is generally regarded as a connection-oriented transport network technology. Based on IP technology, it is applicable to a multi-service environment and capable of accessing, converging and transporting "TDM/ATM over Packet" and "packet-only" services.

Nevertheless, IP technology possesses certain innate drawbacks that negatively influence its position as a carrier-class service transport mechanism

The features that PTN technology requires to render it carrier-class are detailed below.

1) Highly precise network synchronization
2) End-to-End QoS guarantees

3) SDH-like OAM and network protection

4) Uniform multi-service transport and management platform

Check out the below link for more information hope that clear out your query !!

http://www.huawei.com/publications/view.do?id=2983&cid=5409&pid=61

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

From transformation to IP-based packet transport network (PTN) has garnered industry-wide attention as the most expedient remedy. PTN is generally regarded as a connection-oriented transport network technology. Based on IP technology, it is applicable to a multi-service environment and capable of accessing, converging and transporting "TDM/ATM over Packet" and "packet-only" services.

Nevertheless, IP technology possesses certain innate drawbacks that negatively influence its position as a carrier-class service transport mechanism

The features that PTN technology requires to render it carrier-class are detailed below.

1) Highly precise network synchronization
2) End-to-End QoS guarantees

3) SDH-like OAM and network protection

4) Uniform multi-service transport and management platform

Check out the below link for more information hope that clear out your query !!

http://www.huawei.com/publications/view.do?id=2983&cid=5409&pid=61

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Thank you for your answer.  Ironically, I work (just started) for a comany that does backhauls in Mircrowaves (Dragaonwaves, Huawei, and a few others) so I am being exposed to alot of new technologies...and loving it

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card