cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble accessing 1841

cdavies74
Level 1
Level 1

Similar to http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20LANs&topicID=.ee7c7c1&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cd29204 but I cannot access 10.10.10.1 at all.

This is all very new to me, but from the manual I've connected a crossed cable between the PC and router (on FE 0/0 as instructed) and set the PCs IP to 10.10.10.2 along with the sub mask 255.255.255.248. As I boot the router up, "FDX", "100" and "LINK" all light up next to FE 0/0 and the PC initiates a lan connection, however the LEDs all die out after ten seconds or so and the connection is lost.

It may be worth noticing that I'm a complete novice when it comes to Cisco routers, I have not installed any additional hardware (the flash card is already in place) in the 1841 itself either.

Any advice is appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Type in:

Config t

ip http server

cntrl z

This will enable the HTTP service on the router.

View solution in original post

Dont forget to save those changes also.

copy run start

or

wr me

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

When you mention crossed cable you do mean an Ethernet Cross-over cable crossing pairs 1,2 to 3,6 on the RJ-45 cable. Or are you talking about a rolled serial cable? A rolled serial cable is used on the serial Comm port off the PC using a VT100 terminal emulating program. You would be better off using the serial connection from the router CONsole port to the PC with the serial rolled cable. Then enter the IP address onto the Interface FE0/0. Once programmed with an IP address and mask then you should be able to access the router via the Ethernet side having an ethernet cross-over cable from the PC NIC card to the router FE0/0 interface.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using a cross-over RJ-45 cable, sorry for the lack of information.

"You would be better off using the serial connection from the router CONsole port to the PC with the serial rolled cable. Then enter the IP address onto the Interface FE0/0" Would you care to go into detail on how to do the last part? I have connected the serial rolled cable to the CONSOLE port on the router and on the serial port on the PC. I have no idea how to do the last part you mentioned though.

Thanks in advance.

To input the IP address onto the interfasce first login to the router.

Enter:

Enable (You should not have a password on the unit for it is fresh out of the box).

Config t

Interface FastEthernet0/0

IP address xx.xx.xx.xx yy.yy.yy.yy (IP addr and Mask)

Cntrl Z (Exits you from Config mode. The Interface is now set for the IP addr you want. Now just set your PC for an IP addr next to the interface IP addr. You should now be able to HTTP to the router for configuration..Good Luck...

Connected through console via HyperTerminal.

Sadly the requested password is neither empty (I have not set any) nor is it "cisco" like described in the manual (should be for the SDM though).

Additional info: Upon booting i got the following from the router that stood out: "Warning: flash:all does not exist. Command retained. snmp-server enable trapsbBgp. % Invalid input detect at '~' marker (the b in bgp). I was then greeted with a warning message regarding the importance of administrative use etc.

After that comes "FTIP0031038907 con8 is now available. Press RETURN to get start".

Pressing return/enter takes me to "User Access Verification, Password:".

Could not edit the previous message so one more thing that stood out: "SETUP: new interface FastEthernet0/0 placed in "shutdown" state".

It looks like your router has a previous password on it. If you need to get into it then you need to do password recovery on the unit. The following URL will describe the process on how to do it...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_password_recovery09186a0080094773.shtml

After step 6 (Type reset at the rommon 2> prompt. ) the unit reboots but I do no get to a Router> prompt, instead I get back to the rommon 1> prompt, previous to that: "Readonly ROMMON initialized. boot: cannot open "flash:" boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:".

Update: After another reboot I got to the correct promp, followed the instructions, set another secret password (as there were none set in the configuration file). Still can't login, even after a reboot.

Another update: After changing console password, regular password and secret password I was able to log in to the router and enable the interface (FastEthernet 0/0) as well as set an IP and sub mask based on your instructions.

I an now able to ping 10.10.10.1 (router ip) from my PC (10.10.10.2), however I am unable to reach it through http. I instantly get "This page cannot be viewed".

Any advice?

Type in:

Config t

ip http server

cntrl z

This will enable the HTTP service on the router.

Dont forget to save those changes also.

copy run start

or

wr me

Thanks for the heads up.

Next issue (do they ever stop?): I can now access the router fine through http://10.10.10.1, however I am unable to install SDM (on the flash card) off the supplied CD. Trying to install SDM Express opens up a webpage that cannot be found. Trying to install SDM asks for a login/password, tried with cisco/cisco but that does not wor.

On the good side, I was able to install SDM on the PC so I can config it through there.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, it's really hard to get things going with a manual that doesn't provide any useful information for this particular router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card