cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unauthorised switch port access

curtis03_2
Level 1
Level 1

I am responsible for several LANs that include sharing WCs with other organisations, and therefore access to my 3750 switches in unlocked cabinets.

I have no port security enabled and the ports are not shut down.

I would like to know the security implications of having unused switchports available to anyone eg with a laptop & DHCP configured?

What security measures can I configure?

Thanks in advance!

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Curtis

The best option would be disabling the ports using shutdown command and securing the access to the switch.

regds

thanks

what about the ports in use - how do i defend against someone unpatching a port and using it - MAC address port assignment?

thanks

Hi,

Your task sounds like you need to enable port security with sticky learning. The switch will learn the MAC address of the device attached to a port and add it to the config.

This can be configured with "switchport port-security mac-address sticky".

Have a look at f.e. "Configuring Port Security"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080379add.html#wp1047696

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

thanks martin

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You may configure unused ports in a separate vlan which has limited access to network resources. This can be achieved in a simple way by placing an access-list on the vlan interface.

When your organization has more money, you may consider using a firewall for this.

Regards,

Leo

thanks leo

can you please explain further use of a firewall in this case?

thanks

In this case a firewall wouldn't be very effective. If a port were unpatched and a device like a WAP were connected to that port then the intruder is in your network.

I would administratively shutdown the unused ports and then use mac-address security sticky on the active ports. If possible I would also consider a secure rack for your network equipment.

t-heeter
Level 1
Level 1

I would look into 802.1x port authentication.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card