Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading to Cisco hardware

I have a client who wants their entire network infrastructure revamped. We're going to have fiber runs connecting the buildings, and we're going to upgrade the entire network to gigabit.

What would be the best Cisco solution? I'm looking for

48 port gigabit switches to cut the total number of switches down for each building.

Fiber connectivity

Entry level cost (if there is such a thing)

They're used to using lower costs solutions (almost SOHO gear)

so "Cisco money" will scare them a bit

I appreciate any help ya'll can give

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Tsasbrink
Level 1
Level 1

There are a lot of blanks in your information witch makes it hard to create a solution.

Do you want gig to the desktop ? how many clients ? how many buildings ? is this on own campus ground or separated ?

whats the proposed budget ?

maybe you should do one key location first to let them smell cisco reliablity, scalability and managability first ?

3 buildings with possible expansion, all on one campus

wired/wireless clients will total around 350 or so

all 3 buildings are going to be connected via underground fiber

no real proposed budget yet... they want the most bang for the buck

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

One thing I like to note about 48 port switches as well is that it means if you do lose a switch.. you affect more users.

Definitely a consideration if you run IP Telephony.

On that note.. also think as to whether you are going to want PoE..

Cheers,

Tim

girigeek5
Level 1
Level 1

You can have various solution on this based on your budget. To suggest or to give idea, you can you either 2960 or 3750 switches both having an option of Fiber modules and 24/48 Gig Ports.

If you need more information, then you need to answer the reply given by tsasbrink asking about budget, connectivity to desktop, etc.

SirAdam_2
Level 1
Level 1

mmh, I would advice the 3560 series. For example WS-C3560G-48TS.

The question is what you (or the customer) wants. Low cost solutions mostly offers low flexibility/scalability...especially monitoring.

But don't forget the proportion between the Access Layer and the Backbone. Offering 1GB at the Access-Layer normally leads to the need of 10 GB at the Backbone(Proportion 1:10). Sure the users won't use the whole bandwith at their ports but 48 GB ports -> share <- 1 GB Uplink or a 4 Gig Uplink (Etherchannel).

SECONDSIGHT
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

you have a slight problem straight away .

Lets say you have got 3 buildings you want to link , with 500 users in each building.

and you want to use fiber interlinks ( good choice).

your core switch`s will need 2 FB links to the core. that all 3 building in a triangle.

Or just two building connected for redundency.

Then lets say you want to connect each access switch to the core/dist

500 users is about 11 switchs .

Each access switch needs dual links .

So you now have 20 fiber cables that need connecting...

the 3750/3560 come with a max of 4.

so straight away your into a chassis based switch

i think a 4503 with a 24 port SFP card will suffice.

if you can use TP to connect each access switch , then you can use a 3750G which will give you GIG for each access switch.

As for Voip , please be aware that if you load a 3560 or 3750 with 48 phones requiring power , there are known issue with provding power to all of them , i also noticed when testing that 30+ simultanious phone calls caused "buggy" type behaviour to be seen by the 3560`s , i believe due to overheating of the switch/Brown-out type behaviour.

For your clients , you still dont really need more than 100mb, your average desktop users doesnt go above that.

So WS-C3560-48PS-S would be great.

cheer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card