cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB to Serial adapter connection

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

I have a iBook G4. Console cable, and USB to Serial adapter cable. I would like to be able to console into a Cisco router, I am using Zterm as was recommanded early for Hyperterminal. it seems that the connection is there. when I click on the Zterm app I get a blank white screen with

ATE1 V1

OK

-

any one have any idea how to use this terminal or help get connected

I know that I can use Terminal to telnet into the router, but I need to console in first to set up the basic configuration.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Karim,

I am very glade that you did it :) please do enjoy your lab, i'll always be here if you have further problems, and thanks for the nice rating.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI,

You can use "Hyperterminal" for this kind of Setup.

Setup as below:

------------------------

Bits per sec : 9600

Data bits : 8

Parity : none

Stop bits : 1

Flow control : none

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Karim,

For Zterm, generally configure 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and you must select usbserial if you're using a usb-to-serial converter.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

It shows to me as either Com3 or Com4

Narayan

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for the reply all of you, the issue that I have is where I can configure all this >>>>

Bits per sec : 9600

Data bits : 8

Parity : none

Stop bits : 1

Flow control : none

the Screen is blank so how I will configure it ..I do not see any options where I do that ..

Thanks

I did some digging and here is one of the answers , have not try it yet , but will let you know . late on today.. Thank you all

http://www.planet-rcs.de/en/article/mac_serial_port/

Hi Karim,

As illustrated in the link you've found, first you need to go to settings -> Modem Preferences -> select usbserial0 as the default modem and then edit your connection parameters as said in earlier posts, and it should be that simple.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

I did try to follow the instructions but when I look for serial0 under modem prefrences there is only modem ..I did attach the snapshot,, Thanks ,

any one can help with this one please / Thanks

Hey Karim,

How do you do :), you'll need to make sure that you've installed the driver for the usb-to-serial converter.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mo .. I did buy a generic usb/serial and it did not come w/ the driver... do I have to buy an other one// Thanks

Hi Mo

I did try to download the driver but I get a Chinese characters. I will try it again today... Tanks

That did it Mo .. thanks for taking your time to help me with the issue. it works better then windows hypererminal.. :-)

Hi Karim,

I am very glade that you did it :) please do enjoy your lab, i'll always be here if you have further problems, and thanks for the nice rating.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: