cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

useable addresses

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

can you use addresses with a 255 in them ? on my internet router it has and ip of x.x.255.x !! I thought you can only use up to 254 !!

thanks

5 Replies 5

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use an IP address with 255 in it, as long as its not the first or last octet

why is this ? I thought that you can only have 254

you can even use a 0 or 254 for the last octet depending on your mask

ex) 10.0.1.0/22

However, its better to stay away from 0 or 255

Here's the (very) short version:

If the host portion of the addressis all zeros, it's considered (by convention) to be the "Network Address" or "Segment Address".

If the host portion is all ones, it's considered, by convention, to be the Broadcast Address.

So, if you have an address like 10.1.254.255/16, it is a valid host address (though, not necessarily a smart choice) because the least significant bit of the third octet is a zero - hence, all of the host bits are not all zeros, or all ones.

You could also have an address like 10.254.255.255/7 and still have a valid (but not smart) host address.

You could have something like 10.1.0.0/8 and still have a valid host address ... all of the host bits are not all zeros or all ones.

When we say it's not necessarily "smart" is because someone else may see those addresses, decide the person that set 'em up was an idiot, and change them to something .... or worse, get confused & mess up on the subnet mask and kill a bunch of nets or subnets (and dynamic routing ....).

OK, so it wasn't all that short ...

FWIW

Scott

cisand2002
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

check this link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/3.html

you will have answer to your question.

HTH

cisand

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card