cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Very basic initial configuration question.

MICRO-VIDEO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I replaced a Catalyst 2960G for a C2960X-24-L in a network where there are already five switches.

I have no idea how to assign it an ip : is there anyone here willing to explain that in  very simple way ?

I tried plug it in the existing network, but didn't work.

I'm not the one whom installed the network, and I'm doing that to help.

Thank you.

Pierre

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Connect using the console port.  Your console terminal should have the following settings: 

• 9600 baud

• 8 data bits

• 1 stop bit

• No parity

Hi Leo.

Thank you for your help.

I guess I can connect with a normal ethernet cable, because nothing was provided in the package.

There are two prtos: management and console.

Which one is the correct to use with the Cisco Network Assistant ?

Have a nice  day.

Pierre

Pierre, 

By default, the management interface is configured for DHCP.  You can use the management interface if you can get the port to get an IP address.  If not, then you'll need to go into the Console port.  

Check out e-bay.  Cisco Console cable are cheap.  

Also if you are adding a new sw to the network i recommend you to reset the vtp in that sw (if your network has it.) if you are not sure just do "vtp mode transparent" "vtp mode client" assuming that you are replacing a client sw.

Then you should verify before connecting to the network:

- type of stp that your network is running

- if you have vtp check the config and use the same domain, version, password so the sw gets the vlans from the 

- when you have all the vlans set in the sw then add the interfaces to the vlans

- be sure that you are not replacing the root sw.

Maybe there are others things to check but thats what comes to my mind now

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card