Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN help needed

Hi, I've setup a AP521 access point, and now it asked for a VLAN number. I'm sort of gren into larger networking, but currently Im the only one in the company responsible for it, so I learn a lot by the hard way each day ;)

I dont know what to do with the VLAN number, but in the topology view I can see a Cisco 831 router.

Could anyone give me some guidelines on this?

Thanx in advance.

3 REPLIES

Re: VLAN help needed

Hi granzow12,

A Vlan is a virtual network. Basically you need to find out what virtual network you would like your access point to be a member of.

For example: You may have a Vlan of 21 for Voice, Vlan 20 for Data. Basically 2 seperate networks.

I would suggest looking at the running-configuration of your Cisco hardware to find out your Vlan information on your network.

HTH, Please rate

Regards,

Justin

Okay, I see.

But we dont have any other cisco hardware than our router. Does the VLAN option require Cisco hardware?

Thanx in advance.

Hi,

It should not require a VLAN to operate but If you are sure you are not using virtual LAN's in your network then go ahead and assign VLAN 1 to it since that's the default and administrative on Cisco switches.

Views
Helpful
Replies