cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Usage

kmarsh
Level 1
Level 1

Are there a set of general guidlines for using Vlans i.e., how many devices on a LAN before you should split them into Vlans?

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kevin

This is a question that gets asked quite often and there is no definitive answer to this. It depends on your applications, how much broadcast traffic there is on the LAN segment, security issues such as having separate groups of people in separate vlans.

At the very least i would look to have your servers in a separate vlan than your client machines.

Consensus seems to be a class C ie 254 hosts is about right for the maximum. Personally we use /25's ie. half a Class C per vlan.

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon, That's always been my rule of thumb but trying to convice some of the people around here is like beating my head against a brick wall. I guess what I'm really looking for is any hard documentation that says what you just said to prove to them that 800 devices on a flat network is not a good things.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Also vote for a /24 group , thats the most manageable and gives the best performance without problems , of course you will always runn into certain situations where maybe you need a /23 or have to run secondary addresses on the same subnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: