Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN versus PVLAN for a heartbeat network

I need to set up an isolated (P)VLAN for a hearbeat network between two SQL servers.  The servers in this case are virtual and may be attached to different fabric extenders (6248).  My first  inclination was to just set up a VLAN and apply an access list to prevent any traffic from entering or leaving it for other VLANs.  However, on further reading I started thinking a PVLAN may be a better way to go.  Does anyone have any insights into creating a hearbeat network on a 6509 connected to 6248 fabric extenders?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have no direct experience of using the fabric extenders but if it is a heartbeat vlan then why do you need to create SVIs for it ie. it does not need to be routed to other vlans so just create the vlan at L2 in the vlan database and do not create any L3 vlan interfaces.

That way you do need to control traffic into and out from that vlan as there is no need for any routed traffic for the heartbeat vlan.

It may be i have misunderstood your requirement so if i have please clarify.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have no direct experience of using the fabric extenders but if it is a heartbeat vlan then why do you need to create SVIs for it ie. it does not need to be routed to other vlans so just create the vlan at L2 in the vlan database and do not create any L3 vlan interfaces.

That way you do need to control traffic into and out from that vlan as there is no need for any routed traffic for the heartbeat vlan.

It may be i have misunderstood your requirement so if i have please clarify.

Jon

You're right. Without an IP address the VLAN is just another switch. Sometimes I am too clever for my own good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco