Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What is the minimum configuration necessary to use SDM?

After a long learning journey with Cisco routers, I now know the value of Johnnylingo's advise and I've taken the next smallest (read $$) step and found an 871W with SDM CDROM on eBay. Contributing to this decision was the long time it was taking to establish any basic configuration compared to other cheapo home office solutions. This is due to a combination of factors such as IOS/hardware incompatible instructions from what I can gather here and elsewhere (what you can do on one router you can't do on older routers; vlan for one), domain specific learning curve (I have software programming experience which doesn't help).

What then is the minimum configuration necessary to enable the SDM software?

The modem arrived with a password, which I reset. I don't know if there was any config on the router before the reset, but there isn't anything on it now (show run, show ip??--something like that)--none of the interfaces are configured with an IP. Of course, SDM needs the router's IP to startup. There's only one twist in my setup, and I'm not sure if it really is a twist. I have a server with the 9-pin serial port which is Linux and a dual boot Vista and Linux without serial. Therefore, I installed SDM on the Vista partition and connected with a straight through ethernet cable to the outside ethernet port as shown in the SDM Quick Start Guide.

Now all that seems necessary is to create a basic minimum config, or download a factory running-config for the 871 and TFTP it onto this 871w.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is the minimum configuration necessary to use SDM?

Hi Chris,

Here's a useful link to get you started with your 871w router, which I think is the greatest Cisco wireless SOHO router.

http://wannabelab.blogspot.com/2013/11/cisco-configuration-professional-ccp.html?m=0

SDM has been obsolete for quite some time. You could download and use CCP instead. It's somewhat look and feels like SDM.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

2 REPLIES

Hi Chris,

Here's a useful link to get you started with your 871w router, which I think is the greatest Cisco wireless SOHO router.

http://wannabelab.blogspot.com/2013/11/cisco-configuration-professional-ccp.html?m=0

SDM has been obsolete for quite some time. You could download and use CCP instead. It's somewhat look and feels like SDM.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

SDM has been obsolete for quite some time. You could download and use CCP instead.

That's great! I didn't know it was free, which is important since this is a used router. (>_<)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content