Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Why does this work

I manage a pure ADSL WAN in Australia (g'day). Every now and again, a router will go down. The 'sync' light is still on, but their is no connectivity at all. By mistake, I accidentally rang the phone number that the adsl service lives on. Low and behold, the interface came back up instantaneously.

I have been using this technique to phone routers that have gone down, and have found that within 2-3 seconds of me phoning them, the interface comes back up. This works first time, every time for the last 4 months.

What I am really curios about, is *why* it works. Does anyone have any clues? Anyone done something similar?

3 REPLIES
Green

Re: Why does this work

Maybe the ring voltage breaks through accumulated oxidation on some marginal connector.

You'd think that if your phone call would do it, calls from others would do it as well. How likely is it that yours is the first inbound call to that number for some extended length of time?

Interesting.

Does it work if you call from a cell phone or somewhere other than your office?

Good Luck

Scott

It sounds like something with Australia's phone company?

I've never had those symptoms/resolutions.

As far as i got

your router's pppoe session hangs after some time and when u make a phone call your session becomes active because router automatically sense the session which is down and up the session again..

So when u make the call the session( which hangs)between your router and DSL Provider become active and u get connected

Basically the problem is with your router or ISP because when session terminates they show you that session is active while LED means your line is sync physically but session creation is logical connectivity between router and ISP through PPPoE ( Point to Point Over Ethernet)

Hope this may help you

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content