Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless networking

I am looking to wirelessly network my house and I have a basic knowledge of networking and can program it.

My question is based on the ports use. When you get the package, it comes with an rj-11 a modem and then something that comes out the router and into the male USB.

How do I connect this to the router?

1. Will the router have a port for the rj-11 to go into?

2. Or will I have to get a USB to rj-45 converter?

Thanks

Chris

• Getting Started with LANs
2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Wireless networking

Hi Chris,

Basically your router should have ethernet RJ-45 ports in it.

If it is acting as an ADSL modem as well then it will have an RJ-11 port to connect to your phone line that your DSL is on.

If you have a seperate wireless access point then this should have RJ-45 ports. Connect this to your router with an ethernet cable.

Your PC should be connected to your router by RJ-45. Or you can just connect wirelessly.

If you have a USB connection on your router this would typically be to connect a DSL or cable modem to your PC directly. This would require you to install software on your PC. I would try to avoid this. Be sure to use the router to share the internet connection as this is what they do best.

I might be off the mark here. Feel free to post more info on the gear and internet service you are using.

Cheers,

Tim.

Re: Wireless networking

Hi Tim,

That did help a lot as i was unsure about the way to go about connecting it all up, i think your suggestion - connecting the RJ-11 to the router (for the internet access) and then connecting everything else wirelessly or via the RJ-45 provided would be the best solution.

I don't currently have any of the equipment in front of me as i am studying at university and have to do this for my parents when i get home.

I should be able to get this done, if not i will be back on here asking more questions.

Thanks

Chris Noon

Views
Helpful
Replies