cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Won't load startup config

rileymartin
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a strange problem where the router won't boot with the startup config. When I type 'sho start' I see my config displayed but when I type 'sho run' it shows the generic config with none of the changes I made. Also, every time I power cycle the router it comes up with the following:

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

When I type 'copy start run' and then 'sho run' I see my configuration changes in the running config. However when I power cycle the router it comes back up wit the initial configuration dialog and none of my configuration changes are in the running config????

I tried going through the initial configuration dialog, choosing the basic setup and assigning just a hostname and ip address to e0/0 but when I power cycle the router it still comes back up with the initial configuration dialog and doesn't have any of my changes in the running config.

What the heck is going on here?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Do a SH VER, and check the config register value.

For most routers it should show 0x2102

If it doesn't, you can change it from global config with "confreg 0x2102"

It may be set to ignore the startup config, that is a common step in doing a password recovery.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

Hi,

Issue the show version command and check the last line where it says config register.

If it is not set to (config-register 0x2102) then your router will not load startup-configuration file.

To resolve this go to configuration mode and change the value to be config-register 0x2102.

then copy startup-config to running-config and

then write memory (or copy running-configuration to startup-configuration) and reload the router.

your router should now load the startup-configuration.

Hope This Helps

Regards

Shaheen

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Do a SH VER, and check the config register value.

For most routers it should show 0x2102

If it doesn't, you can change it from global config with "confreg 0x2102"

It may be set to ignore the startup config, that is a common step in doing a password recovery.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi,

Issue the show version command and check the last line where it says config register.

If it is not set to (config-register 0x2102) then your router will not load startup-configuration file.

To resolve this go to configuration mode and change the value to be config-register 0x2102.

then copy startup-config to running-config and

then write memory (or copy running-configuration to startup-configuration) and reload the router.

your router should now load the startup-configuration.

Hope This Helps

Regards

Shaheen

Christian_E
Level 1
Level 1

i have the same problem and with the command : 

#router config-register 0x2102 

i resolve my startup config problem after a password recovery  , thanks guys !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card