cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1040 AP Questions

jeremymann
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1040 AP on my network but I am having several issues with it but I think most of it is my lack of experience with Cisco products.  Hopefully I can get some questions I have about the AP answered here so I can help stabilize my wireless network. 

My first question is I thought this was a 802.11N but when I look at the Detailed Status it states that the Radio Type is AIR-AP1140Gand under Setting the data rates only go to 54mbs.  This might explain why when i perform LAN speed test over wifi I only get around 20mbs read/write speeds.

I have the newest firmware but this AP is very flakey.  I noticed on my iphone that I flucuate between 2 bars to full when I am standing within a few feet of the device and several people in the office complain about the same issue on laptops and mobile devices.

I may not have this device configured correctly so any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My first question is I thought this was a 802.11N but when I look at the Detailed Status it states that the Radio Type is AIR-AP1140Gand under Setting the data rates only go to 54mbs.  This might explain why when i perform LAN speed test over wifi I only get around 20mbs read/write speeds.

Give us the full product number.  I would like to know (from the product number) whether or not you have single or dual radios.  The 1040 is an 2x2 MIMO "entry level" AP that will do 802.11n.

I have the newest firmware but this AP is very flakey.  I noticed on my iphone that I flucuate between 2 bars to full when I am standing within a few feet of the device and several people in the office complain about the same issue on laptops and mobile devices.

Could be channel interferrence causing this.

AIR-AP1041-A-K9 V02

AIR-AP1041-A-K9 V02

One radio and only 802.11b/g only.

It's beginning to sound like co-channel interferrence now.

Download inSSIDer and walk around.  See if you can find other SSID near your AP and record their signal strength.  Also not the channels these SSID are on and whether or not your SSID is also on these channels or not.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Each outdoor wireless mesh deployment is unique, and each environment has its own challenges with available locations, obstructions, and available network infrastructure. Design requirements driven by expected users, traffic, and availability needs are also major design criteria. This section describes important design considerations and provides an example of a wireless mesh design.

For more information please refer to the deplyment guide-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.0/design/guide/MeshAP_70.html#wp1292680

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

G radio gives data rate up to 54mbps only..

Signal strength issue is due to interference.. please go for site survey.. or check for any metalic or interfering device around and remove it... check for dead zone area..

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

This issue seems to be due to interference also do remember there is some issue with IPhone wifi signal(old devices) do test the signal with some other device.

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Agreeing with Leo, abhi, abha and Kashif, my inputs would be same here.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card